Sunday, June 27, 2004

Glasses

I broke my glasses at work on Friday. I am as blind as a bat (only without the radar). The frame snapped at the point where the part that goes across the nose connects one lens to the the other. It is at a spot that is virtually impossible to tape up. Of course I had to do something because I was at work and being extremely near-sighted there was no way I was going to be able to drive 20 miles (or even 20 feet) to get home. Fortunately one of the women at work had crazy glue (in case a nail broke) so we were able to make an emergency patch.

The glasses held together until I got home and then broke again. I have old pairs at home but I can't read with them. My distance vision hasn't changed but as I have gotten older I have become far-sighted and need glasses to read. The pair that broke are bifocals so I can read with them. The old pairs are just for distance. Reading is a little difficult right now. As Groucho Marx once said, I could read fine if my arms were longer.

I dropped my glasses off to be repaired today. Turns out they had a one year warranty and the warranty expired... tomorrow. Lucky break! This means the frames will be replaced for free. Unfortunately, they don't carry these frames anymore so I have to wait two weeks while they special order them. I guess I have to get used to reading blurry writing for awhile.

No comments: