Thursday, October 06, 2005

Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when september ends

I love October. October is by far my favorite month. October is the transition from the heat and humidity of summer to the cool weather of autumn. October brings apples that you can pick frsh off the tree. Before things got too crazy around our house we used to drive out to the North Fork and pick apples and stop in at a winery or two. Walking around an orchard and eating apples fresh off the tree is a perfect way to spend a day. (Just watch out for the poison ivy growing around the apple trees.) The so-called Red Delicious from Washington state can't hold a candle to a fresh NY apple.

The last few days have been cool in the morning and in October that often means early morning fog. Three mornings in a row there was fog as I as driving to work. Long Island is a big place, so big that you sometimes forget you are on an island, but you are still never more than 12 miles from the ocean.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Goble said...

I would agree that October in New England is the best time of the year, there. It's when I was recruited to move out there. One of my favorite things that I could never do out here in CA was to assemble a 5'high pile of leaves, and then crawl inside it. The air is electric, the colors intense. Crisp. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

October is also my wifes favourite month.