Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Without bad luck we ....

hard drivewould have no luck at all. The hard drive on our PC decided to have a mechanical failure. This isn't one of those easy to recover from failures but a hardware crash that means the data is lost. What data? Everything. Yes, I know I'm a programmer and should know better than not backing up my data but I didn't so stop nagging. I even had two hard drives in that PC and the one that failed is the one with the irreplaceable data. Michel lost all of her graduate work. We lost all of our emails. This means that if your email address was on our optonline account, we don't know what it is anymore. So tonight I'm going to buy a new hard drive and start the laborious task of reloading all our software onto our PC. And this time I'm going to buy a couple of USB Flash Drives so that we can keep backups of everything we do. Just shoot me.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Goble said...

I have felt your pain. I recommend another big drive and Acronis True Image. It's saved me more than once, and is really quite flexible. I know you don't want to hear that, right now, but when you are, I'm here for you, man.

Anonymous said...

I managed to recover data from a dead drive by freezing it. Yes, it shocked me too, but if the other option is that everything is lost it may be worth a try. Details in the Linux forum on the Ranch. (see my link)